The Master of Arts in Sociology (M.A. in Sociology) is a Two-Year (4 Semester) Full-Time programme that provides an opportunity for students in the field of Sociology to pursue higher education and undertake advanced coursework and research. The course offers excellent career prospects in terms of advancement of knowledge and qualification and ultimately making them qualified professional and better researchers.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
The graduating student of the MA program in Sociology is expected to reflect particular qualities and abilities of a learner which include not just their knowledge and understanding of the subject domain but also include the ability to apply their knowledge in a given context and effectively communicate their understanding in different platforms. More specifically, after completion of the programme a postgraduate student of M.A. (Sociology) should be able to:
1) acquire sociological concepts, theories, perspectives, methodological concerns, and skills relevant to sociology as a scientific discipline;
2) apply domain specific knowledge to explain the contemporary issues of social relevance in local, regional and global context;
3) exhibit the skills and expertise of designing and conducting social research using ethical means of collecting and analysing primary and secondary sources of information;
4) gain competencies of communication (including using ICT) for a variety of settings and professions such as that of teachers, researchers, bureaucrats, development practitioners and in any other socially responsible role; and
5) become proficient in applying sociology so as to enhance career prospects;
6) acquire the capacity of critical reflection on contemporary society along with the ability to disseminate knowledge through practice of independent reading, writing and other discursive practices.
A candidate seeking admission to regular M.A. (Sociology) Programme must have passed final year of Bachelor’s Degree Examination (10+2+3 pattern) from a recognized University/Institution with at least 40% aggregate marks (36% for SC/ST candidates).
A student shall be eligible for End-Semester Examination if he/she has attended not less than 75% of the lectures delivered in each course separately in Theory including seminars, tutorials etc. and successfully completed Field work/Internship (if any).
The Syllabus and Courses of study in the M.A. (Sociology) programme are as prescribed by the College from time to time and governed by its regulations/statutes. The M.A. (Sociology) programme is of Two Years duration and is divided into four semesters. The candidate has to complete the course with all the components (Theory as well as Internship) in a maximum period of four years from the date of admission to the course.
The candidates admitted to the M.A. (Sociology) Programme are required to deposit fee and other charges as prescribed by the college, the details of which can be had from the admissions office. Difference in amount if any will have to be paid as and when demanded by the college authorities. The fee for M.A. in Sociology Programme is Rs. 61,000/- per annum. Fees and other charges are subject to revision every year.