The Master of Arts in English (M.A. in English) is a Two-Year (4 Semester) Full-Time programme that provides an opportunity for students in the field of English to pursue higher education and undertake advanced coursework and research. The course offers excellent career prospects in terms of advancement of knowledge and qualification and ultimately making them qualified professional and better researchers.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
The M.A. (English) programme aims at producing a team of well-trained individuals knowledgeable in English & its sub-fields. More specifically, the M.A. (English) programme intends to:
1) demonstrate mastery of the literary discipline by detailing the development and current practices of literary analysis, rhetoric, literary theory, comparative analysis etc.;
2) identify, speak and write about genres, forms, periods, movements and conventions of writing as well as the ability to understand and engage with literary-critical concepts, theories and categories;
3) describe literature in terms of major periods, practices, and/or genres, themes and Demonstrate the ability to understand the role of literature in a changing world from the disciplinary perspective as well as in relation to its professional and everyday use;
4) evaluate the significance of individual works in their cultural and intellectual context.
5) develop professional for effective participation in actions in different areas of English; and
6) apply subject-specific skills in language and literature to foster a larger sense of ethical and moral responsibility.
A candidate seeking admission to regular M.A. (English) Programme must have passed final year of Bachelor’s Degree Examination (10+2+3 pattern) from a recognized University/Institution with at least 40% aggregate marks (36% for SC/ST candidates).
A student shall be eligible for End-Semester Examination if he/she has attended not less than 75% of the lectures delivered in each course separately in Theory including seminars, tutorials etc. and successfully completed Field work/Internship (if any).
The Syllabus and Courses of study in the M.A. (English) programme are as prescribed by the College from time to time and governed by its regulations/statutes. The M.A. (English) programme is of Two Years duration and is divided into four semesters. The candidate has to complete the course with all the components (Theory as well as Internship) in a maximum period of four years from the date of admission to the course.
The candidates admitted to the M.A. (English) Programme are required to deposit fee and other charges as prescribed by the college, the details of which can be had from the admissions office. Difference in amount if any will have to be paid as and when demanded by the college authorities. The fee for M.A. in English Programme is Rs. 61,000/- per annum. Fees and other charges are subject to revision every year.